Thursday 16 February 2012

Poster panache

 

There is something about posters that bring me back to my university years. At the beginning of every year my roommates and I would go to the poster sale on campus, pick up a few new pieces for our apartment, and proudly put them up on our walls with tacks.

I feel like my taste has matured at least a little bit since then, but I still have a soft spot for posters. My husband and I bought a vintage CP Hotels poster in Quebec City while we were there for our 'babymoon' a few years ago, and we bought two really vivid posters from the Vancouver Olympics in 2010. I am sentimental about all of these posters as they remind me of special times in our lives.

I framed the Olympic posters a few months ago (they are going up this weekend in my daughter's room, finally!) and I am in the midst of framing the Quebec City one now.

For all of them, I am using Ikea Ribba frames, which are nice and cheap. My only warning with the Ribba frames is that they are often sloppily sized, so even if you measure impecibly, they can look a little asymetrical and unbalanced if you are doing a gallery wall. I hung 2 pictures in our office and couldn't figure out why they didn't look even....turns out the frames are a quarter of an inch different in height.

My biggest tip for framing posters is to go to your local frame store and get them to mount the poster on foam core. This is inexpensive, and ensures that the poster lies flat against the glass even if it's been rolled for years. You may also have to get custom mats cut if your poster is an odd size (which mine appears to be).

I will upload some photos once the posters are up on the wall! It makes me want to go buy a Breakfast Club movie poster for my dining room and put it up with tacks!

No comments:

Post a Comment